Thursday, February 01, 2007

Answering questions

I have seen this around and finally have decided to take the plunge courtesy of Karen at My Favorite Things http://karenv.wordpress.com/

1) One book that changed your life:
Terry Pratchett's The Color of Magic. It was recommended by a coworker who became one of my very best friends and it got me (thorough him) deeper and deeper into the murky depths of scifi for which I am eternally grateful.

2) One book that you’d read more than once:
Any of Pratchett' Discworld books; Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books; Tony Hillerman's Leaphorn/Chee books; or the scifi-based mysteries of Sharyn McCrumb

3) One book you’d want on a deserted island:
The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke
a. He writes beautifully.
b. It's *really* big.

4) One book that made you laugh:
Pratchett and Neil Gaimen's Good Omens -- oh, that footnote on computer equipment servicce contracts still slays me!

5) One book that made you cry:
Where the Red Fern Grows

6) One book you wish you’d written:
My dissertation ;-)
hmmmm, The Lord of the Rings

7) One book you wish had never been written:
I don't think I wish they'd never been written, but I either think they were too lame to bother typing let alone printing or too over-used: Ben Franklin's Autobiography, Alcott's Little Women; Keyes Black God; Anthony's Balook

8 ) One book you’re currently reading:
Space Cadets, edited by Mike Resnick

9) One book you’ve been meaning to read:
Ill Met at Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber



6 Weird things about me (only 6? That's very constraining.):

1. I was "raised" by a German Shepherd who I think was quite sure I was a defective puppy. he made a *very* efficient babysitter and my parents didn't have to pay him.

2. I hate answering my phone at home. The phone at work is ok, but I just hate answering my phone at home.

3. I hate paying bills at work -- it's not even my money and I just about can't stand dealing with invoices.

4. I like Hershey's candy bars ok, but I really don't like their Kisses.

5. For no real reason that I can think of I almost invariably hum/sing "The City of New Orleans" to myself every morning. I usually only do the chorus over a couple times though --
"Good morning America how are you?
Don't you know me I'm your native son,
I'm the train they call The City of New Orleans,
I'll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done."


6. Whenever I see an ambulence going to a scene (lights, sirens, etc) I always think at it "Please let everyone be ok." I used to say that out loud, but a friend said she didn't get why I did and it was "really weird." Frankly, I don't get *that*, but now I say it silently and wish that the world was the sort of place that didn't think wishing everyone was ok was weird.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see your answers :) I hate answering the phone at home too - I either make DH answer or I leave the machine to pick up ;)

Ruth said...

Ahh, yes, Karen. My answering machine is my friend. Hmmm Everyone else's is an annoying roadblock though. ;-)