Monday, April 30, 2007

Monday again.

First things first, cut me some slack. I was in bed after 10pm last night, up at 4am this morning (after hourly wake ups for fear of missing the alarm), and on the road with my sister just after 5:30am so she could dump me off on her way to the airport. I am not therefore fully functional :)

I am certain that I'm back from the hinterland and sorry to say I have no stitching to report. It's not like I didn't take plenty -- BBD My Quaker House, MSD Quaker Meeting House, misc Christmas ornies, and the Vierlanden. I just didn't have time to work on them. Clean, sort, box, and trash -- that was my week last week. Oh, there was some photoing though....

My sister in action -- photographing collectibles from our childhoods....
Naomi photos childhood

I experimented with space bags and the fabric collection -- for the record, very cool. The silks and wools seemed to not mind the experience, and I expect this will solve my fears about stains and bugs. However, Space Bags apparently have lousy quality control -- only 6 of the 9 bags I bought worked. The 3 defective ones wouldn't seal. They went back to Target to enjoy life in the defective merchandise pile
Space Bag experiment

We visited my aunt who has a definite bird-watching fetish. Despite growing up with birds, I only recently started "watching" and it's all my Aunt's fault. While we were over for dinner aside from the run of the mill sparrows, there were 4 red wing blackbirds, a pair of band-tailed pigeons, a dozen humming birds, and a yellow grosbeak. They certainly made for nice dinner scenery.

While I got no pictures of the birds, my Aunt's garden poses no movement problems so I photoed away.... If you know what these lilly-ish things are I'd appreciate a heads up:
Anna Lou's lillies? Anna Lou's Lillies
Anna Lou's roses Anna Lou's roses

Get these rose of my Aunt's -- first is called something-or-other Samba and buds in yellow, blooms to peach, then flowers out to pink. The second is a striped white and fuschia called George Burns. I just love him. By the way, there's a black thing stuck on some of the blooms of the George Burns -- that is bamboo ash. While I was taking these there was a fire a few miles from their home and the sky was raining slivers of coal black ash. Turns out that burned bamboo creates ashes 1-2 inches long and around a quarter of an inch long. It's darn freeky to have black snow falling on you!
Anna Lou's roses -- ?Rio Samba? I think
Anna Lou's roses -- George Burns
Anna Lous roses -- George Burns

About the only stitching I can report is that I did a floss toss for a friend who wants a sampler like my M Designs one just in different colors. We came up with the following and a list of a couple dozen things that would make for nice motifs.
Anita's floss toss

Oooo, a very exciting (yet annoying) thing while home -- I found my charm pack for my M Designs sampler. Yeah, the sampler that I just got back from the framer. LOL The charm pack had slid into then through the lounge chair to be found when I had to shift the chair to get at some power cords. :) Oh well, charms for something else!

______________
Recently finished reading: Rex Stout's Too Many Cooks -- fun as usual, a definite piece of its times (written in 1938) in terms of racial references, yet handled adroitly and correctly by character -- want to know why I think so? Go read the book. :)
Currently reading: Terry Pratchett's Going Postal, Jim Butcher's Storm Front, and Rex Stout's The Black Mountain
Wishing I had LoJack for: Zelazny's This Immortal