Friday, February 19, 2010

Olympic excitement brings out the worst (possibly best) in me

I love the Winter Games. It's the skiing. What more could you want -- scenic vistas and the divine swishing sound. Sigh. As far as the indoor stuff it's all about curling.... Go Norway! [Certainly you have been following the saga of the Norwegian Curling team's pants. If you have somehow missed this great moment in sports, just google "Norwegian curling team" -- you can even add pants as a separate term if you want but pretty much all your initial hits will get you The Pants.]

Under the influence of these lovely Olympics (thank you, Vancouver!!!!!), I have been stitching indiscriminately. And, strangely enough I am loving EVERYTHING I stitch and everything I'm not stitching at a given moment calls desperately to me. My worst problem is getting started because that involves putting all but one pile of threads and fabric aside. Yeah, I don't know what's gotten into me either. Usually I'm obsessed with one thing at a time.... and usually that obsession is NOT the thing I am/should be stitching on.

The Games has made me give in to startitis.... again. It should be simple, but there's a saga. You knew there ha to be. I have started Christmas at Hawk Run Hollow.
2010-02-18 003
OMG what was I thinking. Annnnd, yes, dear firends, to add insult to injury, I'm doing it over 1! Ok, to the saga. First I look at the chart, which I love and think, "it's perfect if you don't consider all the mustard toning." I like mustard as well as the next hot dog fan, but oxidized mustard is not an attractive color and I don't get the use of it as a tonal element in charts willy nilly. You feel the saga coming now, right? What's an anti-oxidized mustard girl to do but start changing colors.

So, one square at a time I started pulling threads and replacing them with actually "attractive" (to me) colors. I don't change all that much, just enough to ease my tortured eyes. -- so, 12 times I did this:
Their colors:
2010-02-09 008
My colors:
2010-02-09 010
Their colors:
2010-02-09 012
My colors:
2010-02-09 013
12 times! Do you know how long that took? 6 hours! 6 fricken hours. And, then for another whole week I tweaked some more and some more. I'm finally all tweaked out I think. I hope so since I have started stitching. lol

Ok, I have to run to a bday party part 2 of 3, but I also need to get some other pics in because my BIL has "gotten a good belt"--
Damn! Sorry some idiot didn't upload those photos.... wonder who that could be???? hee hee

Sorry... another time.

Remember, GO NORWAY CURLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 comments:

Kathy A. said...

Love the Olympics too. I'm getting numb butt cheering on Canada and stitching. What will we do when it's over?

Unknown said...

I like the Olympics somewhat, but I have to admit that after years and years of skipping over commercials on the DVR, I just can't stand sitting through all the commercials (even muted). We've watched a few hours (go, Shaun White!!!), but since I don't stitch while watching anything (since I stitch with my glasses off), I haven't let Olympics watching impede my stitching. Enjoy them!

Karen said...

we were watching the women's curling tonight, yes, Doug likes the women's Norway team with their skirts. LOL We have been watching most of it and stitching along with it (well me stitching). LOL

Carolyn NC said...

I love the Olympics, too. Great new start on CAHRH. I'm waiting for my fabric to arrive to start, too. :)

Hazel said...

I keep seeing this design popping up. I think it is calling to me. x

Janice said...

OMG those pants! ROFLOL!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

I will really enjoy watching you stitch CaHRH over one. I love over one but a project that size, I don't know if I could handle it. Great job on working through your conversions.

Daffycat said...

Oh Ruth! I love your WIP. You have made excellent progress too. I can't believe you are stitching it over 1!

Mylene said...

You made a very good start on Christmas at Hawk Run Hollow. And i admire your patience doing it on one over one.

Brigitte said...

Oh wow, a whole HRH piece over one. You're really brave. But I love your start. I think it will look gorgeous over one, very fine and subtle.

Siobhán said...

Okay, is it bad to admit that I was hoping to see their pants splitting instead of argyle pants?!? We've been enjoying the Olympics, but I really can't figure out curling. Love the new start!

Chris said...

Love the colors you chose. You also are doubling up on some colors-to-symbol. For the second design, their colors were 20 colors. Your colors are only 15. I think it's going to look great stitched over 1.

Sally said...

I like your colours for Christmas at Hawk Run Hollow. I would love to stitch it but there are about three blocks that I don't like lol!

lenna said...

The Olympics rock but I have not gotten to see much.
I am totally with you about the color choices. 731, 732,733,734 and 831, 832, 833 and 834 what is with those colors? I do not like them and I change them every time they show up. I just think there are better, softer ones to choose from.
Your stitching is awesome and over 1 piece is so pretty. You go girl. I enjoyed your blog and will follow you.
God Bless ~
Lenna

Jeanne said...

Once you start fiddling with changing out things it's amazing how long it can take! I am torn about purchasing/starting CoHRH as I have so many other WIPs/BAPs. Then there's the question about silk vs DMC....what's a girl to do?! I'll be watching your progress.