Thursday, January 28, 2010

................ gotta dash, but....

... I know I need to get updating because there is so much to catch you up on.

First, I feel compelled to note that last night I almost started 2 new somethings. OMG help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For today I shall limit my updating to what I've finished in 2010 (besides the belt... sorry I was too excited to wait on that)--
2010-01-25 034
This I know is unusual so it has a story. My BIL owned a Calder painting which he decided to sell last year. That there is my version of it. It's called Triceratops and in painting form it is huge. When I first met what I called The Banana Slug (sorry, I still see a slug before I see a dinosaur) I was not entranced, but over the years I grew quite fond of the ole girl. I was going to miss her at Christmas. So somehow it came to me, I'd stitch an ornament for him in honor of her. So I searched through all my photos from their house and printed out the 30 with parts of the painting in it-- of course I couldn't find a shot of the whole thing... no! That would have been too easy. Once I'd worked out my own line sketch of it, the problem became transferring it to graph paper. I couldn't see to trace it. I tried etching it which worked real well up until the tape gave about half-way through the process. I tried tracing with sharpies so the ink would bleed through -- of course when you want to bleed through your paper, you NEVER do. Ultimately I flipped my (at the time) nonfunctioning laptop on it's lid and used the screen as a light table to trace my drawing onto graph paper. It worked! So there, now you know the saga behind the ornament. And possibly you know why it takes me forever to get anything done.

2010-01-25 016
That's SB's little America sampler which I finally sewed the *&#$@(#*^ button on. Yup, it's been stitched for something like a year and just waiting for me to iron it and put the flag button on. Did I mention I have slowness issues that possibly could be easily solved? By the way, I seek suggestions -- this came with the beautiful Jill mat, but the mat is not cut wide enough to look good in a frame by the time you loose the part of the mat under the rabbit. I've run into this with these mats before and it really annoys me. I don't want to have to pay the exorbitant costs to have my framer cut mat fillers to go under the frame. I was thinking of having it galled and the edges copper wrapped. What do you think? I'm game for ideas.

2010-01-25 018
And finally, SB's Fa La La. At least this one didn't take me a year to get the dang button on!

ttfn -- Happy stitching to all and to all a nice dinner.

8 comments:

Kathy A. said...

Sending warm hugs
Thanks for the chuckle!!!

Kathryn said...

I like the Calder. Maybe I should try that with some of our art. Of course! Copper Foil -- EXCELLENT idea.

Oh, and BTW, love you, too, man.

Nic said...

Congratulations on your finishes!

mainely stitching said...

This is why I don't stitch my SB designs! I know it will take me eons to find the buttons, and then to sew them on. LOL! I'm glad I'll be in such good company!

Carolyn NC said...

Love the "slug" - great idea! And your finishes look wonderful!

Brigitte said...

Great finishes!
I also have a couple of projects that I'm very reluctant to stitch because they need buttons or charms to be sewed on. But it's not the sewing-on process which frustrates me, lol, no it's because I can't get these anywhere.

Siobhan said...

ROFLOL about the slug. It is the best looking slug I've seen, and living here, I've seen a few! Congrats on the finishes.

Cyn said...

Hi Ruth,

LOL about the slug I mean the dinosaur. Maybe that's why your BIL decided to sell the painting! :-)

Love the SB Little America sampler and the FaLaLa Sheep! Both are very cute!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow