Thursday, March 11, 2010

Almost a party......

It's my birthday tomorrow and I'm momentarily pleased with that. Yesterday I was nonplussed about it. Last week I was depressed about it. Today, kinda excited. My sister and BIL arrive tonight for a whirlwind couple days of festing. Plans are still formulating, but I'll be sure to catch you up on stuff (possibilities are narrowed down to: Anzo Borrego flower fields, Mission San Juan Capistrano, and the Huntington Library). Probably today's perkiness stems from the arrival of guest, but some it is no doubt due the the fact that I finally have clear-cut the area in front of my TV and now have ground in which to work. This means I can (or someone can) install the new TV a couple friends got me for Christmas. Yippie! No more occasional mystery flips to black-and-white viewing for me. Annnnd, I may even be able to connect both the cable AND the DVD (and maybe even the VCR) to the TV. It'll be a wondrous thing!

Anyway, I have a couple minutes here to try and catch up. Hmm.. I seem to be having to do that a lot. Wonder what that's about... oh wait! We're talking about me. lol silly girl

During and immediately post Olympics I was in a stitch anything phase. I was especially obsessed with my sister's Christmas stocking. First I struggled through the packages (note of warning to needlepointers: Fyre Werks' "hologram" line is not at all like its regular or soft sheen lines. The hologram stuff is stiff as a board, and therefore not in the least bit fun to work with. Sorry, Fyre Werks, you know I love you, but that holo stuff is a pain!) The Fyre Werks are the entirety of the green bow. The red bows are in Sprinkles (by Renaissance):
2010-03-02 015
Once the packages were in I moved on to the carpet and that became a complete compulsion for me--
2010-03-02 017
I'm doing it in a pair of Bella-something-or-others (sorry, I'll get back to you on that). They are thin merino wools that are absolutely yummy to work with. This pic doesn't show it, but the whole bottom of the foot is done and I've turned the corner up the back of the heel ... yippie!

When no obsessed with the stocking, I was obsessed with my Friendly Stitcher's ASAW. I got tired of putting in grid lines so I started filling in squares:
2010-03-02 025
It's a garden-themed piece that in its original incarnation is absolutely lovely, but a number of the squares have no connection to gardens I have known. No offense folks, but I'm a West Coast girl. I can see the beach from my office. I never experienced gardens with snowflakes until my sister moved east. So I've been making some adjustments. This upper left corner that I started with is going to be my grandparents' garden-- so I started with the most prominent memory I have of their yard-- the GIANT apricot tree. Then there's the HUGE swing (well, it was really, really big when I was little. Maybe now it'd only be 10 or 12 feet tall but then I was certain it reached the sky). the square under the half done apricot tree (I kept leaving my beading threader at the office so I had to start something else instead of finishing the tree) is going to be a blue-purple bowl (like the one grandma and grandpa got for their 50th wedding anniversary) filled with elysiums.

Dang, how'd it get so late? Ok, I have to scoot. Go have a happy day for me, ok? A personal favor just for me. lol

12 comments:

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

Have a happy birthday tomorrow! I hope it is just grand! Awesome stocking progress! I'll bet those grids got boring but it'll be wonderful when filled in and done!

mary said...

Hi Ruth,
Have a wonderful birthday tomorrow!!!!!! Love the stocking!

Carolyn NC said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great day! Stocking and stitching look great!

Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Nothing to fear, just enjoy the day and weekend, too. Some people find Renaissance to be a bit stiff, too, but I used it on the sun for Pineapple Fish (which might see the light of day sometime this year) and I loved the sparkliness. All hail to stitching mojo!

Kathy A. said...

Have a very Happy Birthday. Wishing you lots of family and love.
Love that stocking. YOu have made great progress.

Mylene said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!
Wishing a wonderful day with family and friends!

Your stocking is looking great.

Amy said...

Happy birthday Ruth!! I'm glad your sister & bil are going to be there to spend your special day with you! Have a great birthday weekend my dear!
Hugs,
Amy

Janice said...

Hope your birthday is wonderful and that you enjoy your visitors!
Happy Birthday!

Edy said...

Happy Birthday Lady!

Brigitte said...

Very nice progress on your WIPs.
Happy belated birthday!

Dani - tkdchick said...

Well you're not the only one whose late around here! Its been too long since I've been by and I wanted to wish you a happy belated b-day. I didn't realize you were a March Baby too... but then I am the WORST at remembering b-days!

That stocking is just amazing! Your sister is going to love it!

Mylene said...

stopping by to say HI! How are you these days, Ruth?